A chocolate pudding fruit. Looks like a tomato of medium size which is brown inside and dark green from outside. It tastes sweet and is rich in potassium, Vitamin C and a good source of fiber.
Scientific Name:Diospyros digyna
"NATURES NATURAL CHOCOLATE"
The flesh is sweet like - custard, nut-like flavor and when ripen, fruit pulp is blended with milk, ice-cream, it tastes like chocolate with a rich sweet.
|It is large, green in color about the size of an apple. Flesh turns dark brown/black.|
The various Black Sapote are distinguished as botanical species rather than as cultivars. The following are those most utilized for food:
This fruit has sweet, creamy pulp that's fruit salads or shakes are in wonderful.
They mostly arrive in the summer.
They are usually sold when they are hard since they are vulnerable to the plant virus attack easily when they become ripe.
This thin inedible fruit skin changes from green to yellow when it ripes
A mamey sapote is ripe when the flesh is pink when a fleck of the skin is removed. The flesh should give slightly, as with a ripe kiwifruit.
They are great for eating out of hand, or for making fruit salads or smoothies.
Fruit mature over summer after up to 18 months after flowering.
It is commonly round or oval with a bumpy, irregular surface. Fruit are greenish-yellow skin, creamy white to yellowish, soft, sweet flesh.
Generally available from May through August and September.
Sapotes contain a fair amount of vitamin A, are a good source of vitamin C, have a relatively high amount of potassium.
- 1 cup black sapote mashed in brandy
- Lady fingers or other plain cake
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Line a deep glass dish with ladyfingers, or two layers of finely cut plain cake to form a shell.
- Fold brandied black sapote on top of the cake. Two hours of fine cooling. Top with whipped cream.
- 250 ml black sapote puree
- 1 tbl sp gelatine (sprinkled over 2 tbsp boiling water)
- 60 grams castor sugar
- 30 ml tia maria/creme de cacao or brandy
- 600 ml whipped cream
- Blend sapote, sugar and alcohol together until sugar has dissolved.
- Add dissolved gelatine and whipped cream.