Common name - Sa-ke(Thai), Sukun(Malay) these are some of the common names in which bread fruit is known by. Scientific name - Artocarpus altilis (Greek) meaning artos = bread and karpos = fruit. Origin- They are known to originate from Mexico. Appearance- Breadfruit looks green in color, when matured little sap will be leaked out which makes the fruit to appear more yellow in color when ripe. The fruit has a starchy texture and fragrance that tends to remain about the fresh baked bread. The nutritious fruit and the seeds are edible. A fully ripe breadfruit is usually soft and fragrant and its flesh is creamy yellow like coloured and pasty with irregular oval seeds. In the centre of this seedless fruit, there found a cylindrical core, in some species which is fully covered with hairs and small seeds. The breadfruit's flesh will be sweet and the fruit haves a nice fragrant smell.
Breadfruit is low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium and very high in Vitamin C, Dietary Fiber and Potassium. The nutritional value of breadfruit helps you to maintain optimum health. Breadfruit has been considered as a nutritionally beneficial fruit. A large amount of nutrients and useful calories can be obtained by eating breadfruit. Other than the contents given in the table, the fruit also consists of 70.9 g of water content and 1.2 g of Protein content in it.
1) Breadfruit is a tropical tree which is mainly related to Jackfruit family.
2) Plants bestow demeanor fruits from 2-3 years after planting and remains productive for decades.
3) Breadfruit can also be used like a vegetable. It can be baked, boiled, fried, or roasted.
4) Breadfruit has been an important crop in the Pacific for more than 3,000 years.
5) They also provide construction materials, medicines, fabric, glue, insect repellent, animal feed, and more.
6) There are two varieties of breadfruit, one is the seeded variety known as the breadnut, scientific name - Artocarpus camansi and the other one is the seedless one.
7) The seeds are boiled, steamed, roasted over fire and eaten with salt. Sometimes they are made in the form of a puree.
8) Breadfruits play a vital role in animal feeding.
The reason why breadfruit is considered as cholestrol controller is because it is a rich source of fiber. The kind of fiber in breadfruit actually lowers the LDL levels (the “bad” cholesterol) while raising the levels of the HDL (the “good” cholesterol) which protect the arteries.
Breadfruit protects the body from heart diseases and heart attacks, Other than this the fiber present in breadfruit help those with diabetes to control the disease to some extent by reducing the absorption of glucose from the in taken food. Consuming breadfruit on a regular basis can reduce the risk of developing colon cancer. Breadfruit leaf is believed to lower blood pressure and is also believed to reduce asthma. Toasted flowers of the breadfruit tree are also rubbed on the gums as a cure for tooth ache.