The Salak is a species of palm tree family and native to Indonesia and Malaysia. The taste is usually sweet and slightly acidic, but its apple-like texture can be varying from very dry and crumbly to moist and crunchy.
Salak Fruit is a short-stemmed palm with big leaves up to 6m length, petiole up to 2m long with back upto 15cm long. The fruit always grow in bunches at the base of the palm, and are also known as snake fruit due reddish-brown and scaly skin. They are about the size and shape of a ripe Fig, with a separate tip. The fruit inside consists of 3 lobes, each with large inedible seed. The lobes resemble, and have the consistency of, large peeled garlic cloves.
Taste- Salak has soft yellow color and are sweet and sour taste like Pineapple, but it is crispier and crunchy. Salak is not juicy which makes them especially convenient to rind and eat. Sweet taste, and are usually acidic, such as Apples, but the feel can vary from very dry and flaky to moist and crunchy. New innovations are having a new clone, in which salak pondoh is sweeter and allows the better results.
Scientific Name:Salacca zalacca
It is popular among the Indonesian due to the intensity of smell, that can be overripe and sweaty before maturation.
It has 3 superior variations of fruits family, known as pondoh super, Yogyakarta hit am and pondoh gading.
It is also a favourite of monkeys found in the famous "Monkey Forests", that often steals fruit from people.
They are round or conical in shape and is in bunch of 10 to 20 pieces. During season it can yield 3 to 5 bunches.
This fruit is covered with brown scales which look like a snake skin pattern with thorns, hence called as Snake fruit.
The fruit has a starchy ‘mouth feel’, and a flavor reminiscent of thin pineapple and lemon juice.
This fruit smaller when compared to normal salak and is the sweetest of all salak fruit.
Salak gula pasir or also known as Sugar salak which known for its juicy sweetness sometimes ferments to be Salak wine.
This has an alcohol content of 13.5 percent, similar to Grape wine. The Salak wine taste is sweet and dry.
The price in Bali is Rs 15,000-30,000/ kg based on time of year.
- It is used to treat defecate steadily.
- Treat indigestion stomach.
- It is mainly used to treat eye diseases due to the presence of Beta-carotene content.
- Salak fruit contain nutrients such as Protein, Carbohydrates, Dietary fiber, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene, and Thiamine that are good for body health.
- 130 g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 40 g ground hazelnut
- 130 g caster sugar
- 150 ml water
- 80 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 150 g salak fruit flesh(chopped)
- 50 g Raisins
- 200 g butter
- 200 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- ¼ teaspoon icing sugar
- Take flour, soda and baking powder together. Combine with ground hazelnut, sugar and salt. Blend it until it reaches soft state.
- Add water, butter and eggs into flour mixture. Beat with high speed for 3 minutes.
- Spread batter into a lined 10 x 20 cm loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180ºC for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make frosting, beat butter, icing sugar and vanilla essence until it becomes fluffy.
- Spread butter cream on top of cake. Sprinkle with some raisins and dust with icing sugar.