An Informative website that tells you everything about fruits.
Blood limes are hybrid citrus fruit, a cross between the red finger lime and the Ellendale Mandarin.
Juice squeezed from the fruit has a sharp, crisp and clean flavor with pH approx 3.4.
The blood limes flesh is unable to cut into segments, as ‘finger lime’. Since the citrus has vesicles breaking up when pressured.
- The fruit can be as an attractive garnish for sweet and savory dishes.
- The fruits are used in a range of value-added products likely marmalades, preserves, syrups, juices, beverages and sauces.
- The tree produces deep blood-red colored fruit, on an attractive, dense and upright shrub to small tree, 2m to 3 m high and 2m wide.
- The leaves are oval shaped with approximately 25 to 35mm long by 15mm wide.
- The trees have dark, glossy-green foliage and purple-red growth flushes.
- Slender spines are present in the leaf axils which damage the fruit. The tree can also be planted as an ornamental tree.
- The crop is carried on long weeping shoots, which covered later by a dense canopy growth.
- Pruning and nutrition management may be necessary to reduce this growth. It helps to minimize fruit damage and make harvesting easier.