STRAWBERRY POKE CAKE
Strawberry Poke cake is great for family gatherings, parties, and celebrations because it’s so quick and easy. And it also colorful, everyone will enjoy it.
It’s a cake that you poke holes into after baking and then fill it with a liquid or filling to infuse extra flavor into every bite and make it very tender.
For Vanilla Cake:
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
For Strawberry Sauce:
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs pureed strawberries
For Cream Cheese Whipped Cream:
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and grease a 9×13 cake pan.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter, sugar and oil to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mix until well mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Add the batter to the prepared cake pan and spread evenly and bake it for 28-32 minutes.
- Poke holes all over the cake. Use a knife sharpening rod or use something like the end of a wooden spoon or a large straw. The holes can be poked when the cake is warm or after it has cooled.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the can and spread it evenly so that it can soak into the holes.
- Add the pureed strawberries, sugar and vanilla extract to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until it begins to boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the strawberry sauce from the heat and pour it over the cake, spreading it evenly and letting the juices soak down into the holes. There will still be a thin layer of the sauce on top of the cake.
- Cover the cake and refrigerate cake until completely cooled.
- To make the whipped cream: Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl. Whip on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the cream cheese and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form and whipped cream is smooth.
- Then spread the whipped cream evenly onto the cake.
- Store the cake in the fridge until ready to serve. Allow the cake to sit out for about 45 minutes before serving. Serve the cake cool, but not cold. The cake is best when stored well covered and eaten within 3-4 days.