Instead of trying the same old banana cake, you can try the Lemon cake which is full of health benefits. Lemon is rich in vitamin C and as they are low in calories they can be consumed even by old aged people too. Lemon juice when it is mixed with water serves as a great liver detoxifier. It helps in treating scurvy diseases and destroys intestinal worms. This recipe is altogether a stomach filling, nutritious and a delicious one. The ingredients that are needed for this recipe are given below and they are followed by instructions.
- 1/2 lb of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup of lemon, zest of, grated
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3/4 cup of fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F and grease the flour 2 loaf pans with parchment paper to line the bottom.
- Using paddle attachment, gel the butter and 2 C granulated sugar in a bowl of electric mixer for about 5 minutes until it gets light and fluffy.
- Keep the mixer at medium speed and add eggs one by one along with lemon zest.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and in another bowl, mix lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Alternately add flour and buttermilk mixtures to the batter, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Evenly divide the batter between pans, smoothing the tops. Bake this for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until it is baked properly.
- After baking it, allow it to cool down for 10 minutes. In the meantime, combine ½ C granulated sugar and ½ C lemon juice in small saucepan. Heat this mixture at medium temperature until the sugar dissolves.
- Now remove the cakes from pans and set it on the wire rack, top of the jelly pan.
- Sprinkle the lemon syrup over the cakes and allow it to cool down completely.
- For the glaze, mix the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and mix it with whisk until smooth.
- Pour this above mixture over the tops of the cakes and allow drizzling down the sides.
- Garnish with 2 lemon slices and some greens of your choice.
This recipe takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes to prepare and can be served for 10 to 12 adults. Kids love to eat this recipe and it can be made during festival seasons to welcome the guest with appetite. Even though it takes some time to bake it, the result at the end is so delicious and no one can stop with just one piece of cake.