Summer Fruit Salad with Arugula and Almonds is a delightful and refreshing dish that combines the sweetness of various summer fruits with the peppery flavor of arugula and the crunchiness of almonds. This salad is perfect for warm weather, picnics, barbecues, or as a light and healthy meal. Here’s a simple recipe to create this delicious salad:
For the Salad:
– 4 cups arugula (washed and dried)
– 2 cups mixed summer fruits (such as strawberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, and/or watermelon), washed, peeled, and diced
– 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
For the Dressing:
– 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– 1 tablespoon honey (adjust to taste)
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
– Crumbled feta or goat cheese
– Fresh mint leaves, torn
– Red onion slices, thinly sliced
1. Prepare the Fruits: Wash, peel, and dice the summer fruits of your choice. If using larger fruits like peaches or nectarines, make sure to remove the pits. If you’re using strawberries, remove the stems and cut them into halves or quarters.
2. Toast the Almonds: In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sliced almonds until they are lightly golden and fragrant. Make sure to keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly. Once toasted, set them aside to cool.
3. Prepare the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, and black pepper until well combined. Adjust the sweetness and seasoning according to your taste.
4. Assemble the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the washed and dried arugula, diced summer fruits, and toasted almonds. If you’re adding optional ingredients like cheese, mint leaves, or red onion, add them now.
5. Add the Dressing: Drizzle the dressing over the salad ingredients. Start with a little dressing and add more as needed. Toss the salad gently to coat all the ingredients with the dressing.
6. Serve: Once everything is well mixed and coated, transfer the salad to individual serving plates or a large platter. The salad is best enjoyed immediately while the fruits and arugula are fresh and crisp.
7. Garnish and Enjoy: If desired, you can garnish the salad with extra toasted almonds, freshly cracked black pepper, and a few arugula leaves. Serve the salad as a light lunch, a side dish, or even as a refreshing appetizer.
Remember that you can adjust the ingredients and quantities based on your preferences and the number of servings you need. This salad offers a wonderful balance of flavors and textures that capture the essence of summer.